Improve Your Sleep in 1 Week With Zepp Aura
Written by Lyz Cooper, Therapeutic Music Advisor at Zepp Aura
In a previous article, we discovered that the average adult needs between 7 and 9 hours sleep a night, and insufficient or poor sleep may increase the chance of developing a range of different mental and/or physical health conditions (including diabetes and heart disease). As well as helping to improve our overall health and well-being, research has shown that we may live longer if we adopt a regular sleep routine.¹
In this article, we will be exploring the importance of a regular sleep routine and how the specifically designed therapeutic music in Zepp Aura, along with some simple exercises, may improve your sleep in just 7 days. Before looking at the solution, it can be helpful to explore different sleep conditions and other barriers there may be to getting good quality sleep.
Sleep Conditions and Zepp Aura
If you are sleep deprived, you can fall asleep, but you don’t always give yourself enough opportunity to do so. If this sounds like you, try adding a couple of simple activities into your evening routine and notice if this helps.
1. Aim to go to bed and wake up at the same time — even if it is a weekend
2. Switch off the TV and any devices
3. Put on some headphones, take a few deep breaths, and close your eyes
4. Listen to Zepp Aura for at least 5 minutes (you don’t have to be in bed)
5. Measure your heart rate with your Zepp wearable before and after listening to Zepp Aura for 5 minutes to see the effect that the music is having.
When you start to feel sleepy, go to bed and switch Zepp Aura on again. The specifically designed therapeutic music in Zepp Aura is composed specifically to help you to relax and unwind.
If you are unable to go to sleep even though you give yourself plenty of time, or you have periods when you are awake for more than 20 minutes during the night several times a week, you may have a condition called insomnia. Insomnia can be a long-term or short-term condition. If you feel that you may have insomnia, try using the above techniques as well as the following:
1. Try having a warm bath or shower an hour before bed
2. Stop caffeinated drinks ideally 6 hours before bed
3. Keep your bedroom slightly cooler than the other rooms in the house
4. Follow steps 1, 2 and 3 above but listen to Zepp Aura for 20 minutes (it would be more beneficial if you were in bed)
5. If you wake in the night, use Zepp Aura to help you to switch off and drift back to sleep
There is another condition which is known as paradoxical insomnia. This is where individuals feel as though they’ve had a poor night’s sleep, but an EEG shows that they have slept very well. With Zepp wearable technology you can monitor your sleep through the night, which will give you valuable information on the quality of your sleep.
If you are at all concerned about the quality of your sleep, it is always a good idea to consult your doctor or health specialist.
Zepp Aura and Anxiety
If you have a sleep problem you may start to feel more anxious as bedtime approaches. The anxiety of not being able to fall asleep can make falling asleep even harder. Zepp Aura therapeutic music has been designed to relax body and mind so if anxiety is an issue for you, start listening to Zepp Aura before bedtime and switch it on if you wake up in the night. Listening to the music through headphones makes the effect stronger — there are ‘bedphones’ and other soft earphones that are comfortable to wear through the night that may work well for you.
Zepp Aura and Pain
Pain can be a barrier to getting a good night’s sleep. There is research to suggest that a lack of sleep makes our perception of pain greater, leaving us more susceptible to chronic pain or migraines, for example.² A study using sound to induce a deep relaxed state known as an Altered State of Consciousness, was shown to help reduce pain.³ The therapeutic sounds in Zepp Aura music are formulated to induce an ASC, therefore helping reduce pain as well as increase relaxation.
After only 7 days of listening to Zepp Aura, you may notice that you feel more relaxed during the day and are able to switch off more easily before bed. You may also notice that you wake up less frequently and feel more refreshed and more positive in the morning. Enjoy!
1.Tufik, S., Andersen, M. L., Bittencourt, L. R., and Mello, M. T. (2009). Paradoxical sleep deprivation: neurochemical, hormonal and behavioral alterations. Evidence from 30 years of research. An. Acad. Bras. Cienc. 81, 521–538. doi: 10.1590/S0001–37652009000300016
2. Tang, N. K., Goodchild, C. E., Sanborn, A. N., Howard, J., & Salkovskis, P. M. (2012). Deciphering the temporal link between pain and sleep in a heterogeneous chronic pain patient sample: a multilevel daily process study. Sleep, 35(5), 675–87A.https://doi.org/10.5665/sleep.1830
3. Cooper, L (2016), Sound Affects, Sound Induced Sound Induced Altered States of Consciousness for Improving Health and Wellbeing https://www.britishacademyofsoundtherapy.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/ASC-research-article-HealthySound.pdf